Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Doctor Hell Yeah!

Ever since Dylan did his 'Dylan DOESN'T Know' show about Doctor Who last December, I've been intrigued by it. From that point on, I was keenly aware of the twitterverse chattering on about something called a Tardis, Donna, Rose, Amy, Nine, Ten, Eleven, feels, weeping angels, Sontarans (I'm looking at you@DHGamerMR) and EXTERMINATE! but still hadn't seen it though my interest was growing. Plus all the pretty people in the glowy box loving the show can't be wrong, amirite? Thus emboldened, we borrowed the box set from my stepfather-in-law Dyl's step-father Roger and settled in to watch from the beginning of the New Series.

Two seasons and three episodes into the third series and I can officially say we're hooked. Well, I am. I assume Dyl is too as we're giving up going to bed at a reasonable time to watch just one more episode every night. I would even go so far as to way we've joined the ranks of Whovians but not sure we've paid our dues yet. Science fiction, adventure, space, morality...yes. Just. Yes. Whovian yet or not, I love it. And me being me, I *might* have already formed some strong opinions.

Let's just put it out there: my favorite so far has been Nine. Christopher Eccleston was absolutely brilliant - the fleeting childlike flights of joy and wonder but always with the undercurrent of deep sadness. It's so incredibly poignant and wrenching yet smart and fun. We're into the Tennant era now and while he's great too, the mania is just too much. Plus most of the acting is done with his eyes and since the mania factor is high, we get a lot of crazy eyes which is way too close to Barty Crouch Junior from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire for me to take seriously. I'm kinda expecting for Voldemort to pop up in the background and/or menacing tongue flicks any day now.

I'm also fully, solidly Team Rose. She was so...real. A normal girl with few advantages and even fewer goals ended up on the adventure of a lifetime. She's tough, she knows who she is and make no apologies for it. But now we've got Martha. Martha is adorable and sweet and I get that her character is supposed to be a stark counterpoint to Rose: smart and questioning but my god, enough with the butthurt puppy dog eyes at the Doctor. The Doctor is obviously grieving the loss of Rose but doesn't want to be alone which is why he's waffling on taking Martha back after their quick jaunt around the timestream so I don't blame her for accusing him of treating her as a 'rebound' because he totally is, but the result is that I'm tired of her whining and would very much like for her to go home. I assume that this is part of the Doctor's character development through the remainder of the season: coming to terms, letting go, and embracing the new on its own merits but it's not doing her character any favors right now.

Time to get to work, still have a lot more traveling to do before the Tardis lands in August!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do or do not. There is no try.