Monday, February 10, 2014

The most stupidly easy lasagna you'll ever make

Last night I posted on the Twitters that I had made an insanely easy and delicious lasagna...in my crock pot. Due to overwhelming demand (okay, 3 or 4 people), I'm sharing it here, mostly because I can't find the link anymore so the original is attributed to something someone shared on Facebook and I liked the look of it. Thanks, whoever you are. It's muy delicioso!

Crock Pot Lasagna - yes it sounds weird and I was very skeptical but it's worth it. Pinky-swear.

1 pound ground beef
Lasagna noodles
1 jar of spaghetti sauce (24 - 26 ounces, depending on your brand)
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
2 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese
Optional: mushrooms, onions, green peppers (???)

Directions:
Brown ground beef and drain.
Spoon 1 cup of spaghetti sauce in bottom of 4 quart crock pot. Mix remaining sauce with beef.
Place 2 uncooked lasagna noodles on sauce in crock pot. Spread 1/2 meat mixture on top of noodles followed by 3/4 cup of cottage cheese and 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering beginning with noodles two more times. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top and cook on LOW setting for 4 hours.

That's it. So EASY, right?

I made a couple of changes to this recipe as *I* felt it would be lacking in flavor. I added 3/4 cup of frozen chopped onions while browning the beef giving it a very savory aroma. I accidentally poured too much of the spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the crock pot initially and rather than opening up a new jar, I added some opened Alfredo sauce (about 1/3 cup) to the meat/sauce mixture to keep it from being too dry. When layering the noodles, the ones I had were too long for the crock pot so I broke them in half and for layers 2 and 3. I also used the equivalent of 3 long noodles instead of two as the 2 noodles looked very sad and lonely. Next time I make this (because hell yeah there will be a next time) I'm going to use ricotta cheese in place of the cottage cheese. Let's face it, no one eats lasagna when watching your weight after all.

This turned out creamy, savory, and cheesy, a very satisfying meal on a cold snowy night. I wish I had thought to take a picture; sadly, I did not. It even received a very rare Dylan stamp of approval so you know it's gold.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do or do not. There is no try.