Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Battle Royale

And it's not good vs. evil or the living vs. the undead. No, it's played out on a grander scale every day. I refer, of course, to the battle for control over the thermostat. This happened at work. INSIDE the building:

Fingers are overrated anyway.
 Yup, my fingers were completely numb. Not to be confused with Nien Nunb.

There once was a man from Nantucket...
I run cold. I fully admit it and always have a sweatshirt with me. I know some folks run hot as I am married to one of them so I make allowances. Some of my coworkers, however, don't feel the same way. Our HVAC system has been reconfigured and stressed so many times that during the most recent lab renovation (oh, say, 11 years ago) the output vent went in directly above my desk yet the system is shared with the cubicles on the other side of the office wall. I get it, they have to crank the air conditioner to feel any cooler so what did they do? They had maintenance relocate the thermostat to their side of the wall so they could control it.

Ah, my old friend, how you mock me
It's 10 degrees Fahrenheit outside right now. I am in a sweatshirt with a small space heater running while the air conditioner blows cold air on my head. Moving my workstation is not an option as when my office-mate was laid off, they took out all the network connections. Complaining is useless. Asking them to, I don't know, turn off the air conditioner in the middle of winter FFS, is tantamount to declaring open war. Not even turn on the heat, just turn off the AC for the love of god!

It's clear my only remaining option is to distract them with pizza and while they're away, pry open the cover and super-glue the control lever to 'off'. It's fool-proof!

If you don't hear back from me soon, send an industrial strength hair dryer. Or a Saint Bernard. Beggars can't be choosers after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do or do not. There is no try.