Monday, January 21, 2013

Once more into the breach

Back in November, Dyl and decided that we should probably start being grown-ups and maybe look into refinancing the house as our mortgage is absolutely killing us. (Knowing that we were paying a ridiculously inflated rate on our property tax also didn't help matters. Good thing we just got the new property value: $45,000 less than before. Yay?) So I did probably one of the dumbest things you could do: I picked up an envelope from the mail pile dining room table, opened the offer, read it and decided to call. (Yo! Print marketing! I'm your gal; call me). The lucky recipient of my tentative steps? Quicken Loans.

Now actually, they have been very great to work with - it's all online with some phone calls; they set up a personal website for you, it's very easy to upload documents and the initial interview was very pleasant. Notice before when I said we started this in November? Yeah, still not even close to closing and our rate lock expires at the beginning of February. And it is a very nice rate lock, 1.75 percentage points below our current rate which would bring our payments back to the land of reality from their extended vacation on WTF Island. The issue now? The supporting documentation. Lots and lots and lots of it. And re-faxing the same documents 3 times (I sweartagawd that if they tell me I have to send this one thing in again, I will fly to Michigan myself to administer the beat down.)  Complicating the process is that we've gone somehow from rolling the closing costs into the loan (as I had been able to do previously to get out of an ARM that had me quite worried) into needing to have cash on hand. A lot of it. Right after the holidays. Did I say fuck? I meant  FUCK. Also: headdesk.

So we called in favors, played the lottery, sacrificed a live chicken and our part of the bargain is done. And now? We wait. To hopefully get to close before the rate lock expires thereby making me snap and CUT A BITCH.

The ironic thing? The current holder of our mortgage sent us a nice official letter offering us the chance to refinance due to our outstanding payment history (read: being effin' gouged) and their partnership with another lender will make this all possible. That lender? Quicken Loans.

And that was the point that Dylan had to go running in search of the straitjacket and xanax.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! Mortgages! We need to refinance, but I don't think it's remotely possible because we're both actors, and loan companies do NOT like it when neither of you have a steady, 9 to 5 job. Good luck with QUicken!

    ReplyDelete

Do or do not. There is no try.