Tuesday, May 27, 2014

An experiment by any other name

My day job is a food industry professional. Yeah, I work for one of those companies who pumps their products full of wholesome stuff life 'trimethyl amine', 'dodecalactone' and 'autolyzed yeast extract'. (You can judge, I won't mind.) Given my work-life, I tend to have a warped view of food - we put more stuff in our products so competitors can't figure out what our secrets are and reverse-engineer them for their own uses but I'm less and less comfortable with buying lots of processed foods. So when my niece started exhibiting some gluten-intolerance a few months ago; I was intrigued from an industry perspective and given that we are having a huge family reunion this year with other members who are gluten-intolerant, I decided last week to experiment with a gluten-free diet to 1) see what my family was dealing with and 2) what impact it would have on daily life. I didn't share what I was doing with anyone, maybe Dylan noticed it but maybe not and although a week isn't really long enough to draw any strong conclusions, I do have some observations to share.

Time. Planning gluten-free meals takes time. A lot of it. Because my plan was not to switch gluten-free products with regular ones but to see what other adjustments I would have to make. It required a lot of prep work to get fruits and vegetables cleaned and chopped, ready to add to salads or popped into a bag for a snack. It meant coming up with alternate breakfasts and lunches that wouldn't be complicated to prepare and as I've lived practically 40 years on a steady diet of cereal and PB&J sandwiches for breakfast and lunch, this flummoxed me. Pouring cereal in a bowl? Easy and thinking-free at 6 am. Slapping some peanut butter and jelly on a couple of slices of whole wheat bread? Piece of cake. But this experiment? It meant figuring out a new form of breakfast - obviously bagels were out as were pancakes and French toast. Eggs would be good but require too much time in the morning when I still had to make my lunch. So I ended up going with Greek yogurt and fruit. Three days I had a salad with strawberries, blueberries, Craisins, feta cheese, pecans, and grilled chicken which was delicious and incredibly filling. But still - so much prep work. (One day I didn't get to eat lunch (see: Revenge of the Giant Space Chicken) and the other was leftovers from the previous night's dinner.) I also ended up snacking on fruits and veggies with hummus and it was good but again, cutting up more each night when all I wanted to do was collapse on the couch and binge-watch Doctor Who.

Ease. For the most part, preparing dinner was easy as I kept it at a protein, a starch, and a vegetable. We ate a lot of potatoes and rice last week but it wasn't terribly far out of the ordinary. But it did remove two of the staples for the absolutely brain-dead days: pasta and pancakes. I could have scrambled myself some eggs to go with the bacon I suppose but that kind of defeats the purpose of not making multiple meals. They were simple but filling and I actually liked not having a lot of processed crap on my plate. Was it a placebo effect or smugness? I'm unsure but I liked the way it felt.

Cost. For a week, the costs of non-purchased gluten-free products and fresh fruits and vegetables seemed to pretty much cancel each other out so I don't think that I was spending anymore than usual but that was only for me - triple that for the kids and it may start to escalate out of comfortable reach. But I had to buy more chicken to grill for my salads then I usually would (only used the equivalent of half a breast on each one) and get the family sized packages of rice to ensure enough for leftovers. Same with any frozen veggies I steamed for dinner - cook more to have more leftovers leaving less for future meals. And when you are on a fairly tight budget, there are more pressing things that need attention.

The Intangibles. I alluded to this before but it's worth restating: I felt better eating 'cleaner' last week. Whether it was smugness from moving away from hyper-processed foods or the boost from getting more fruits and veggies in my body I don't know. All I know is that I did like it and as long as you have a budget and a plan, you can do it with very little difficulty. I didn't miss my morning cereal as much as I thought I would and the first sandwich I had on Saturday actually made me feel a bit bloated and crampy. Psychosomatic? Perhaps, but I also know that I wasn't as gassy (sorry but it's true: everybody farts). Of course this having been a holiday weekend that was all about the hamburgers and hot dogs means I'm feeling rather 'blargh' today but as soon as pay day rolls around again, I think I'm going to do this again.

After all, robust experiments require lots of trials. Because SCIENCE.



4 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about trying gluten free so this is really helpful - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how much better you feel after just one week! Really looking forward to pay day to get my veg on!

      Delete
  2. Stick to it for a month & you'll drop pounds without even trying. =) And then when you go back to the old ways you'll notice more headaches and tiredness. If you can do 'paleo' for a month, you'll love it, makes life easier and that makes it worth the effort. Homo sapien sapiens have always been, after all, hunter-gatherers. An Amazon warrior princess is within you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that this was in the back of my head a teeny bit :) And if I can influence the kids to eat less processed crap, well, that's a by-product I'll gladly take!

      Delete

Do or do not. There is no try.